ARTIST SPOTLIGHT:DJ DEMON

Photobucket

Say whats good to Dj Demon.San Diego's own turntable terrorist.Ive known D for a minute now,I seen him tear down show after show.If your from S.D. and dont know who he is ,step into the light and show some respect.If he's spinning a club you can bet there wont be not bullshit playing.Anyway,I caught up with him for a lil Q & A and here what went down.Stricklee Hip Hop style ofcourse.

1.ARE YOU SIGNED TO ANY LABEL OR GROUP AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DJING?

Not signed to any label but I’m run with the Sleeping Giant crew. (www.giantsarise.com) We are basically a collective of DJ’s, MC’s, Producers, etc... I’ve been djing since the summer of 95 so roughly 13 years or so.

2.WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 DJ'S AND WHY?

Jazzy Jeff is dope to me because he’s from the old school but keeps up to date with everything from Serato Scratch to actually doing new scratches. DJ Scratch is also another DJ that falls into that realm. Speaking of Realm, my boy Mike Realm is super dope. He’s been doing video mixing for quite some time now which is what I’m currently trying to get into. Z-Trip is super fresh because he can do it all. Cuts, Party Rock, Beats, whatever the kid is dope. Also this kid DJ Vice is pretty dope. Dude stays busy on the decks, always doing something.

3.HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT TODAYS HIP HOP,AND WHEN I SAY THAT I MEAN IT ALL THE HOT SHIT THE WACK SHIT....HIP HOP AS A WHOLE ?

I feel like hip hop is starting to go the route it should with cats like Kanye, Common, Lupe, Kweli at the frontline. We were in a very sad state at one point and kinda still are but were making progress for the better. With the internet and computer no how now a days its very easy (but hard) to make it in this game. What I mean by “easy” is if you got a laptop you can make beats, record vocals, edit, master, photoshop your album cover, etc....all on the same laptop that cost you $500 programs included. After that fire up myspace on that same computer and start promoting. Back in the day cats didn’t really have home studios so they relied on outsourced studios, artwork, etc....which can turn out to be costly and take a long time. What I mean by “hard” is you still gotta put in all that work and grind it out. You gotta have some good and some bad I guess. The dope cats gotta have someone to clown on.

4.HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT MIXTAPES GAME TODAY ?

Mix tape game is crazy right now. It’s just about if not more relevant as actual albums. Again the internet has a lot to do with this I think. For some cats mixtapes are a way to stay in the public eye until the album comes out. Some cats just sell regardless of promotion because of there core fan base so if they put out a mix tape with minimal overhead cutting out packaging, promotions, etc...your gonna make a lot more money at the end. Especially if there getting deals like Koch is doing.

5.HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN DJ DRAMA GOT INTO HIS SITUATION WITH THE RIAA?

Well I got my theories but I think that since the music industry is hurting so much (again the internet) there looking for ways to regulate. They see this DJ making more money than there whole department they get pissed. Before when mix tapes were helping them by promoting artists with upcoming albums it was no problem. Just a theory.

6.DO YOU THINK,THE INTERNET IS DESTROYING HIP HOP,LIKE MANY PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT?

I think the internet has its goods and its bads. On one hand there could be this kid on the other end of the world that has the most incredible shit you ever heard and thanks to myspace you can listen, download, whatever. In the same breathe that same kid could be the wackest cat you ever heard in your life. This same kid will keep hitting you up asking to be on a mixtape, or try to send you 5 comments a day. I don’t think it could ever destroy hip hop because I think the hip hop culture grows and evolves with the world around it including the internet.

7.HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT WHERE YOUR AT IN YOUR CAREER THUS FAR AND WHERE DO YOU ULTIMATELY WANT TO TAKE IT?

I’m happy where I’m at with djing. There’s always room for improvement but I figure as long as I’m having fun its all good.

8.FAV. BIGGIE JOINT AND WHY?

Everyday Struggle. This is my motivational joint. Beat is real upbeat, first song in the morning type shit.

9.FAV. TUPAC JOINT AND WHY?

“Violent”. This track is stupid dope. Bassline is ridiculous, this is also one of the first times I heard a reggae/hip hop track. Also has scratches in the song which is fresh but most of all he painted a nice picture for a lot people who didn’t witness first hand police brutality, profiling, government conspiracies, etc...

10.NIA LONG OR LISA RAYE

I gotta go with Nia. Many more memorable moments.

11.BALD , BUSH ,OR NEATLY TRIMMED

I got a gardener that comes by once a week. Fucker keeps clipping my roses to short but he keeps the lawn nice.
(That’s my “I got a wifey and she’d kick my ass if I answered that answer”)

12.DUNKS ,SB NIKES,OR AIR FORCE ONCES

Not a big shoe guy but I like Dunks.

13 TOP 5 MC(IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

Biggie
Masta Ace
Rakka Iriescience
Common
Lateff The Truthspeaker

14. DO YOU THINK A PROMOTION SITE LIKE THIS WILL BE HELPFUL FOR ARTIST AND DJ'S,AND FANS WHO WANT TO ESCAPE FROM THE SO CALLED HIP HOP,THAT THEY PLAY ALL DAY ON T.V?

Yes.We need more sites like this exposing artists to audiences. It’s very difficult to compete with radio and big money marketing but with more sites like this we can even out the playing fields.

15.ANY ADVISE FOR THE UP AND COMING DJ'S OUT THERE?

Yeah, know a lot of people who need dj service, be creative, push boundaries, leave your comfort zone, don’t bite but be influenced and influence, accept technology as your friend, don’t be a fucking asshole.

16.WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM YOU IN THE FUTURE?

Just started a monthly podcast called “San Diego Colleagues” which is a play off an old mix cd I did back in the day. Also started a clothing line with a partner called “Daily Fibers”. I started spinning video since Serato came out with there video plug in and I plan on doing mix dvd’s in the near future. Basically just expect me to always be on my grind.

17.LASTLY,WHERE CAN A ARTIST CONTACT YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SAY TO ALL YOUR SUPPORTERS AND NEW FANS OUT THERE.AND ANY SHOUT OUTS,LET THEM KNOW WHERE THEY CAN FIND YOU(BLOG ,WEBSITE,SIRIUS,XM WHATEVER)

You can contact me at www.demon.giantsarise.com. Just a big shot out to the family Sleeping Giant, and everyone who supports good music and the real hip hop movement.



10 CRACK COMMANDMENTS RMX





http://www.mediafire.com/?ti2x2czxjw2

BIGGIE-DA FUNK RMX






http://www.mediafire.com/?wzqcbqzf0j2