DJ SPOTLIGHT: DJ K.O.

Photobucket

Say whats good to Dj K.O..He's been the game for a minute,making his way onto the major scene and getting spotted buy the execs.As a fellow Dj Im always happy to see one of us come up and get a real chance to do a full album.If your not hip to who he is ,sit back and pick up the knowledge he drops on you in the interview.YOUR WELCOME.....YOUR ALL WELCOME.

1. ARE YOU SIGNED TO ANY LABEL OR GROUP AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN DJING?

I've got my own company called Elementality Productions, but I'm also currently signed to Shaman Work Recordings. Shout out to Chris, Lamar and J.R.

I started DJing back in 2001 while I was in college. Saved up some doe, bought my turntables off of a friend, went to the record shop and copped some vinyl and then stopped going to class for a semester…ha. Got my feet wet doing parties and eventually got my own radio show in 2003 at Rutgers University.

2. WHO ARE YOUR TOP 5 DJ'S AND WHY?

Jazzy Jeff, Revolution, Spinbad, Funkmaster Flex & Clue (not in any particular order). Being from New Jersey I grew up listening to Flex on Hot97 and Clue's mixtapes. They broke incredible records, put together some really dope collabs with some of hip-hop's biggest artists and proved that DJ's were an important part of the music industry to promote artists and lables. When it comes to Jazzy Jeff, Revolution & Spinbad…they all have some of the finest technical skills…really inspired me when I first got into it. I also have to throw in a 6th…Premier. Do I really need to explain why?!!!??!??!

3. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT TODAYS HIP HOP,AND WHEN I SAY THAT I MEAN IT ALL THE HOT SHIT THE WACK SHIT....HIP HOP AS A WHOLE ?

There's always been dope and wack shit. What's dope to me might be wack to someone else… you start to realize perception is everything. Where you're from and what appeals to you personally really shapes our opinion on music.

4. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT MIXTAPES GAME TODAY ?

Oversaturated and lacks creativity. It's time to find another means of promotion and make our product valuable again.

5. WHATS THE ONE THING YOU THINK A DJ SHOULD ALWAYS REMEMBER?

Stay true to your ear and play music you honestly feel is quality.

6. HOW DID YOU FEEL WHEN DJ DRAMA GOT INTO HIS SITUATION WITH THE RIAA?

It was bound to happen sooner or later. The government doesn't like when they don't get their cut! Haha. So I guess they decided to go after one of the most visible Dj's and make an example out of him unfortunately.

7. DO YOU THINK,THE INTERNET IS DESTROYING HIP HOP,LIKE MANY PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT?

It's certainly not destroying hip-hop. The internet is providing a means for a lot of talented artists to be found and heard. Whenever a new technology comes along, it takes time to figure out how to harness its potential and make it work to your advantage. Since the turn of the century there is no question it has really affected the business side of the industry…but it's only a matter of time before someone figures out a way to make it work to benefit everyone involved…from the fans to those looking to make a living off of their art to the businesses that make it all possible.

8. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT WHERE YOUR AT IN YOUR CAREER THUS FAR AND WHERE DO YOU ULTIMATELY WANT TO TAKE IT?

I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunities I've had to even get this far in my career. It's been a lot of hard work, countless hours spent following my dream and support from those close to me which have made it all possible. Ultimately I intend on becoming more involved behind the scenes…doing artist management/development, a&r and executive producing.

9. FAV. BIGGIE JOINT AND WHY?

He's got so many hits and classic joints…from "Big Poppa" to "Juicy" to "Hypnotize" to "Going Back To Cali"…the list goes on and on. My personal favorite though is "Unbelievable"… raw lyrics and a dope beat. The essence of hip-hop right there in my opinion.

10. FAV. TUPAC JOINT AND WHY?

Again…Pac's got an extensive catalog. My personal favorite though is "Old School". Whenever I hear that joint I feel like I'm there with Pac growing up in NYC in the 80's. He had that ability to make people from all walks of life feel like they could relate to him or feel like you knew him on a personal level. That's something not many artists can accomplish.

11. NIA LONG OR LISA RAYE

Not even close for me…Nia all day!

12. BALD , BUSH ,OR NEATLY TRIMMED

I'm a fan of neatly trimmed.

13. TURNTABLES OR CDJ'S

I'm old school…turntables.

14. TOP 5 MC (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

The most subjective question in the history of interviews…haha. For me, my favorites are Nas, O.C., Elzhi, Rakim and Biggie.

15. DO YOU THINK A PROMOTION SITE LIKE THIS WILL BE HELPFUL FOR ARTIST AND DJ'S,AND FANS WHO WANT TO ESCAPE FROM THE SO CALLED HIP HOP,THAT THEY PLAY ALL DAY ON T.V?

No question. Like they say, any exposure is good exposure! It's all about providing options and an opportunity for those looking for it…

16.ANY ADVISE FOR THE UP AND COMING DJ'S OUT THERE?

Remember that DJ's are the backbone of hip-hop, don't cater to anyone and get out in your local scene and network!

16. WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM YOU IN THE FUTURE?

BIG THINGS! Haha. Well my debut album, Picture This..., has track after track of dream collaborations between the likes of Talib Kweli, Skyzoo, Royce da 5'9", Phonte (Little Brother), Kaze, and Silent Knight along with tracks produced by Black Milk, Buckwild. Analogic, 9th Wonder and M-Phazes (to name a few). It will be available worldwide September 23 courtesy of the good folks at Shaman Work Recordings! The Elementality team (Analogic, East, Kaze & Silent Knight) will be out in full force promoting the record along with their upcoming individual projects. Be on the lookout for new albums from everyone in the coming months!!

17. LASTLY,WHERE CAN A ARTIST CONTACT YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SAY TO ALL YOUR SUPPORTERS AND NEW FANS OUT THERE.AND ANY SHOUT OUTS,LET THEM KNOW WHERE THEY CAN FIND YOU(BLOG ,WEBSITE,SIRIUS,XM WHATEVER)

Be sure to check out the website (www.elementalityproductions.com) for info and updates on my album. You can also find info on any of the Elementality artists there as well.

I can always be contacted via e-mail (ko@elementalityproductions.com)...whether you just want to holla at me and say what up to those looking to do business.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me thus far and those who are just becoming familiar with our movement. This is only the beginning!! I also wanna say what up to the rest of the Elementality fam…Zach, Kupi & Zillz. Thanks for reaching out Dame…peace & respect.