MC SPOTLIGHT:RANDOM

Photobucket

Say whats good to Random.A underdawg MC that spits with pure desire.Random already has a career and still does his thang on the mic.Thats 100% love.Not many cats can say that.With his slick flow and delivery he may be forced into a career change.I caught up with him for a lil Q and A and heres what went down.

1.FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW WHAT LABEL OR GROUP ARE YOU SIGNED TO PRESENTLY?

I'm signed to RAHM Nation Recordings, an indie label based out of Phila, PA. RAHM stands for Reform and Healing Movement.


2.HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT TODAYS HIP HOP,AND WHEN I SAY THAT I MEAN IT ALL THE HOT SHIT THE WACK SHIT....HIP HOP AS A WHOLE AND ITS DIRECTION?

Overall hip-hop isn't as bad as people make it out to be... I think there's a lot of garbage, but a lot of quality...same as it was in 88, 98, now 2008...the only thing is, today the garbage gets the big stage, when back in the day it might've gotten the small stage. I'm not mad at any artist getting money, I can only be accountable for me when it's all said and done...

3.AS A UNDERGROUND ARTIST ,IS IT HARDER FOR YOU TO GET YOUR MUSIC TO THE MASSES,OR ARE THINGS STARTING TO SWING YOUR WAY?

Of course, but I think that's the way it's meant to be. Sometimes you just never know what's gonna work...case in point: I made what I feel to be the album of my life in 2006, "The Call," and it did okay, but wasn't nearly as successful as I thought it would be. Then I do this album, "Mega Ran," based on Mega Man (the videogame) last year and it was a HUGE success, like bigger than anything I'd ever done. Now I get calls and emails every day about that album, about shows, anime conventions, videogame site interviews...even the company that created the game (Capcom) contacted me..it's crazy. But I'm thankful for it. So if I can channel some of that attention and hoopla towards future releases as well, I should be good.

4.HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT MIXTAPES?

I used to love mixtapes. Back in the day, the only way we knew what was hot was to go to the neigborhood bootlegger and cop the new DJ Clue, Doo Wop or Ron G tape..it was filled with exclusive joints you couldnt get anywhere else... nowadays (dang I sound like an old man), there's 800 mixtape "DJ's" who can't even scratch, and get the same songs I can find on the internet. And what's with rappers having their own mixtapes? I blame DJ Drama for that.. and I love Drama, he's from Philly like me...but he started this I think..now every rapper has to make a mixtape...which is cool, but there's no theme to them... its usually some rapper spitting over a beat that 20 other people spit to, interpolating their lyrics into some new idea... I think that's weak. I mean, I understand not everybody has money for beats, mixing and mastering, and it's a cheap way to get your voice heard...but I think people should make albums. why waste bars on a beat that Lil Wayne or Jay-Z already murdered?

5.DO YOU THINK,THE INTERNET IS DESTROYING HIP HOP,LIKE MANY PEOPLE
COMPLAIN ABOUT?

Yes and no.. Yes because now due to the internet and downloading, there's more pressure on artists than ever to sell records, and to do that they need that 'one big hit.' rappers spend so much energy (and money) creating that one big hit that the rest of the album sucks. But I say no too because that's only on the major level. Without the internet, I'd have to hit the road 24-7 to get the kind of fanbase and support that I have right now. I dropped my new single "Exhale" with Naledge onto the 'net myself, and within 24 hours, it was on 20 different hip-hop websites and blogs, getting hundreds of hits and downloads. Like on this song I have on the new album goes, I call it the "new grind." you don't have to pound the pavement and harass people anymore, just make good music and get it out there for people to check it out. Now only time will tell if this encourages those folks to buy an album, but I really can't complain about that kind of exposure.

6.HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT WHERE YOUR AT IN YOUR CAREER THUS FAR,AND WHERE TO YOU ULTIMATELY WANT TO TAKE IT?

I'm very happy about where I am right now. Of course I long for the day when I can sell out world tours, but I'm working on that. Right now I'm a full-time middle school teacher and full-time recording artist. If I knew what I know now about 8 years ago, i'd probably have more money in my pocket, but other than that, I'm good...but I'm not done.

7.FAV. BIGGIE JOINT AND WHY?

hmm.. "Everyday Struggle." lyrically incredible...vivid story...great music.

8.FAV. TUPAC JOINT AND WHY?

"So Many Tears." I listened to this the night he died and almost shed a tear. I don't think there's too many rap songs that could make someone cry.

9.SANAA LATHAN OR NIA LONG AND WHY?

Hmm.. can I have both? Sanaa, because she's got the beauty and the brains... did you know she has degrees from Berkeley AND Yale? *drool*

10.BALD , BUSH ,OR NEATLY TRIMMED?

As long as it smells good, surprise me.

11.TOP 5 MC'S (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

of all time? I'd say Rakim, KRS ONE, Ice Cube, 2Pac, LL Cool J.

12.ANY WORDS,OR THOUGHTS FOR THE PEOPLE THAT THINK HIP HOP IS ALL NEGATIVE?

It is. and I'll pistol-whip you if you disagree...just playin'. seriously, do some research. Real hip-hop isn't on the radio...not too often, anyway. Don't judge these guys, they're just kids from the ghetto who were told that glorifying a certain lifestyle would lead to prosperity. With these rappers' true back stories being exposed, maybe it'll lead to new rappers finally feeling free to be themselves on the microphone.

13.DO YOU THINK A PROMOTION SITE LIKE THIS WILL BE HELPFUL FOR ARTISTS,SUCH AS YOURSELF AND DJ'S,AND FANS WHO WANT TO ESCAPE FROM THE SO CALLED HIP HOP,THAT THEY PLAY ALL DAY ON T.V AND JUST CANT FIND THE HOT SHIT WE'RE LOOKING FOR?

Absolutely...as long as y'all ain't bootleggin' cats whole albums like a lot of other blog sites I see! but yeah, I think it's great to have options. And with sites like Stricklee Hip-Hop, no one can say hip-hop is all garbage, when they're giving you so many options and putting you on to new stuff.

14.WHEN CAN WE DO SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST OFFICIAL STRICKLEE HIP HOP MIXTAPE?

Hey, whenever you're ready, say the word, I'm on it. I'd be honored.

15.LASTLY,WHERE CAN A DJ CONTACT YOU AND WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SAY TO ALL YOUR SUPPORTERS AND NEW FANS OUT THERE.AND ANY SHOUT OUTS.

DJ's can get copies of my singles or drops by inquiring at thecall@rahmnation.org. To anyone who actually read all of this stuff... get a life! nah, just playin... but for real, contact me anytime, I'm really approachable, hit me on myspace, http://www.myspace.com/random215 I personally reply to every single message I get no matter how silly.I hope you liked the music, and I hope to see you out at a show sometime. TS Eliot said "You are the music while it lasts," I've adopted that as a bit of a catchphrase. Shouts going out to Stricklee Hip Hop, to every fan and everyone just a little bit curious...

thanks.

EXHALE FT NALEDGE






FULL LINK
http://www.mediafire.com/?wr4m3dwzui1